Saturday, October 24, 2009

Alice and Her Looking Glass

I can't believe it has only been 3 days since my last post. I have been couped up here for what seems like weeks. No TV, no phone, no Internet, and no contact.

I feel mad as a hatter! I have this incredible thing happening to me and no one to share it with. I have nothing to do but hide. I have walked right through the looking glass into this unreality and now here I am, stuck. So in the face of this madness I have done the only reasonable thing I can think of, imagined my terrible fate.

I have been laying low anticipating the eventual knock or kicking down of the door, the scream of gun fire, the cold panic that overtakes me as I realize I have been shot, the acceptance that my death merits no more comment then the plucking of a single blade of grass, and the lifeless thump my body will make as my muscles release and gravity does its job.

If not that then perhaps my big chase scene will unfold. I will spot the Yellow Men (YM's) as they silent glide up Aaron's street in unmarked black vans. They use the night to their advantage, under the cover of darkness with their headlights out the come to a halt in front of the house. I panic my fight or flight instinct going critical, I choose flight, I run for the back door. As I slip out, the front door crashes in the hinges twisting and buckling, a flood of light spills into the house. The YM's spill through the vacant doorway oozing down every hall and into every room searching Back and forth the red lights from lazer sights twitch. They will notice the obvious signs of habitation, and eventual they will notice the back door that isn't fully closed and then with further inspection they notice my trail. My trail leads across the yard, over the wall and into the field. In the field it is fairly obvious which way I am running. I am fleeing north and I have about a five minute head start. Beyond the field is tract homes, I will make for them. I will check each house until I find an open door. Once the lucky house is found I will hide, being very careful not to upset the order of the house or to give away my position. I will have taken my shoes off just so I don't leave prints on the carpet. I make my way to an attic and shimmy into its furthest corner and I will be silent. After about half and hour I will think I have gotten away I will begin to feel relief, but it won't be justified. Terror will take me instantly as I hear the first thowp thowp of helicopter blades, the sound comes closer. Closer. Closer, and final it is above me. From my perch in the attic the spinning of the helicopters blades is all I can hear, it drowns out my thoughts. I resolve to remain still and quiet, I think as long as I am calm maybe they wont find me. This deadly game of hide and seek is over before it even started. They have thermal imaging, they know exactly where I am. They don't even expend the effort to drag me out of the attic, they find my position and put enough holes through the ceilings with their guns to make sure I am well ventilated. They will watch on their thermal scanner as my heat signature leaks out and slowly goes dark. I will die in an attic without a fight, last word, or an ounce of bravery.

This is what 3 days in a house without entertainment does to me. I have imagined several variations of these tales and a few other less likely scenarios. while isolation might be the dream killer, it is also surely the breeding grounds for nightmares. I need to get out of here if for no other reason I am almost out of food. Aaron's refrigerator was pretty stocked up but a few days without power spoiled everything. I am debating looting the neighbors pantries, I am even considering a journey to the local supermarket, I will have to get more food eventually, and maybe I will find some signs of life and some answers to all the mad questions.

Tranquilnow@gmail.com
~Johnny~
We're All Mad Here